Chicken Thighs With All The Yummy Jars

chicken-with-jars

So I’m kind of a Trader Joe’s addict, I shop there almost exclusively. Seriously, 75% of our food comes from there. The other 25% is Costco and our co-op which has the best local organic produce. I created this recipe one evening as I wandered the aisles desperately looking for an idea for dinner. It came from all the yummy jars of things they carry (and yes, you can get the jars at other grocery stores). I’m talking kalamata olives and sun dried tomatoes and marinated artichoke hearts and roasted bell peppers. Yum! Chop that all up and throw it on some browned chicken thighs add a bit of garlic powder, Italian seasoning and chili pepper flakes and let those flavors get all intertwined or “married” as the chefs like to say. Finish it with some fresh Italian parsley, et voilà, dinner is served.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1-½ lbs organic skinless boneless chicken thighs (better if you can get on the bone and with the skin but they don’t have that at Trader Joes! If you do use them, see note below)
1 jar (11 oz jar so about ½ cup chopped) kalamata olives in oil, drained and chopped
½ jar (8.5 oz jar so about ¼ cup sliced) sun-dried tomatoes sliced packed in oil
½ jar (12 oz jar so about ¼ cup chopped) roasted bell peppers, drained and chopped
1 jar (12 oz jar so about ½ cup quartered) marinated artichoke hearts with their marinade
salt & pepper
½ tsp or so Italian seasoning blend
¼ tsp or so garlic powder
¼ tsp or so dried red chili pepper flakes
2 Tbsp or so fresh Italian parsley, chopped

Directions:
Warm up a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and when it’s warm, add the chicken thighs. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. When the meat is golden, flip the thighs over and sprinkle that side with salt and pepper. Add all of the rest of the ingredients except the fresh parsley on and around the chicken. Cover for 15 minutes or so until the thighs are cooked through. Add the fresh parsley on top, turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.

Serve over quinoa or brown rice. A big green salad would be great as a side.

Note: If you’re using chicken thighs still on the bone and with the skin, the meat will be even tastier. Start with the skin side down in the pan and then flip when golden. All other instructions are the same, it will just take longer for the meat to cook. Test for doneness with a meat thermometer—when it reaches 165˚ your meat is cooked.

 

 

 

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below

Kath - February 20, 2017

I’m making this for dinner tonight–cant wait! 🙂

Reply
Leave a Reply: