5 Steps to Beautiful Skin
I have a spray that I spritz on clothes and then pull the fabric this way and that and the wrinkles go away. Don’t you wish they sold that for our skin? I’m at that age where it’s inevitable that there are lines and wrinkles where there weren’t any the year before. There are all kinds of miracle creams out there selling for hundreds of dollars. I’m not saying those creams aren’t helpful, but did you know that the food you’re eating also plays a huge role in how your skin looks?
I’ve been delving deep into this area of skin health and beauty and it’s relationship to food. Your skin is actually an organ (your body’s largest) that according to the Ayurvedic tradition is the first place your health and wellness shows up. If your skin is breaking out in pimples, rashes, eczema/psoriasis, or just plain too many wrinkles, it is an indication that your digestive system is out of balance and needing different food.
Does that sound weird that your digestive woes show up on your face? Well, when you feed your body food that it doesn’t like, whether lacking in nutrition or foods you unknowingly are intolerant to, your immune system flares up which can lead to rashes and eczema or psoriasis. If your body is intolerant to a food, it might treat it as a toxin and push it out of your body any way it can, even through your skin in the form of pimples.
I had great skin all through my teens but in my early twenties when I moved to LA, my face started seriously breaking out. I have since been diagnosed with a dairy allergy so I don’t know if it kicked in just then or if it was all the other toxins I was encountering that put my system on overload and started pushing them out through my skin. I do know that my digestion was, shall we say, not great back then either. I went to dermatologists, to kind of scary Russian facialists, and nothing helped the acne. Now that I’m off dairy and my digestion is much improved, I’ve noticed that I rarely have any skin issues.
I’ve also learned a few things about how food can affect the quality of your skin in the anti-wrinkle, staying youthful department. Did you know that you can reduce wrinkles and have a healthy youthful glow just by changing the foods you’re eating? I like to think of it as creating beautiful skin from the inside out. You may not need that $200 face cream after all! Here are 5 tips to more beautiful skin from the inside out:
1. Drink more water. A lot of wrinkles are simply caused by dehydration. Try to drink half your body weight in fluid ounces (100 lb person = drinking 50 oz of water)
2. Eliminate dairy and wheat. Many skin issues are caused by intolerances to these two food groups. Among the symptoms of a food intolerance are acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
3. Eat more green and orange vegetables. All vegetables will help your skin but these colors are particularly high in Vitamins A, C, and E, three powerful skin benefitting anti-oxidants.
4. Eliminate sugar. Too hard? Cut WAY back on sugar. Sugar is highly inflammatory and eats away at the collagen in your skin, causing wrinkles.
5. Eat more salmon and other sources of Omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3’s have been shown to prevent premature aging and even reverse some signs of aging in the skin.
I am passionate about helping people turn around their digestion and eating habits so they don’t have to go through the suffering we can feel from skin issues. You can clear it up! You can soften and smooth it! It may be as simple as eliminating one or two things from your diet and adding in other more beneficial foods. Call me if this is something you’d like to explore!
To your health (and beauty),
Holistic Health Coach